101 days after 1.0.7, Kivy 1.0.8 have been released (changelog).
This release include:
- New widgets: Virtual Keyboard, Accordion, ProgressBar
- Video support on android – Python bindings for ffmpeg have been done and are available on github. Theses are focused to be usable on android within Kivy project, but any help to clean and make the code more crossplatform is welcome !
- Scroll wheel support in scrollview
- + 1.6x more performance on Kivy langage
- Support for GIF image + set of images in Zip files
- Bezier and stipple lines in graphics instructions
- … and lot of improvements and fixes !
A documentation translation project have been started (thanks for Sphinx for generating gettext translations automatically from python autodoc). Help us at: http://translation.kivy.org/.
And now, where to go ?
The roadmap is not written, since what we do is mostly depending of our interests / jobs / contributions.
But community is growing fast ! I see $N multistroke recognizer, GSOC integration (better macosx integration), iOS port, better android packaging, unit test, better desktop integration, widget theming support, 3D graphics instructions…
If you still hesitating about using Kivy… just look at the frontpage for the current awesome projects made by the community. And they are lot of others projects going to be released during the next month ! We are also glad to see some big companies to use Kivy as the base for building their products.
If you have also cool project going on, don’t hesitate to share 🙂
To finish, here is a video from Cyril that playing on Icarus Touch, an instrument that use Kivy for his UI. Awesome work !